Thread: Algae and Red LED

Algae and Red LED

I have a 140 gallon cube with 2 of the following fixtures over it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is it possible that the RED LED's in this fixture is causing an algae outbreak? I think that may be the case as every time I turn on the white fixture that includes Red LED's, a few days later I start to see algae growing on the sand and rock. Should I look for a different fixture or does it make sense to cover the red LED's with electrical tape?

Thanks

It's more likely a nutrient problem. Do you test your nitrate and phosphate? With limited knowledge of your system, I would suggest researching GFO or chaetomopha in a refugium or an algae turf scrubber.

zero Nitrate and zero phosphate according to my Salifert test kits.

I need more information. How old is your aquarium? What size is it? Do you use tap water? What kind of filtration do you use? skimmer, refugium, algae turf scrubber.

Aquarium is 2 years old. 6 stage ro/di. Slimmer but no Refugium or scrubber

I would try an algae scrubber or chaetomorpha in the sump to out-compete the algae in the display. You can get zero phosphates and zero nitrates because the algae in your display are taking up the nutrients. I doubt the red LEDs are doing anything because every top brand aquarium led lights have red diodes in them. Have you had the same lights for 2 years? If they are new they may be more intense than the old ones. I don't think it would hurt to cover up the red LEDs to see what happens. I just don't think that would be the issue. But you never know in this hobby.