Thread: Black skimmate

Plankton

Black skimmate

Does anybody know what the deal is with my skimmate? This is after 24 hours. I recently starting feeding my 130 gallon system 3 ounces of phyto every 3 days. I turn the skimmer off the first 24 hours and this is the day after. It doesn't smell as bad as it usually does so I'm not sure whats up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Could just be the phyto. 3 oz seems like alot but can't remember for sure I use a phyto paste so its really dense and only do about half a teaspoon here and there. Do you culture the phyto ?

I've also had the sponge in my carbon reactor fall that let the carbon tumble and I got black skimmate.

Plankton
    No, I don't culture. The amount I dose is based on the instructions. 2.5 ounces per 100 gallons every other day. Except I do every 3-4 days

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vice President / Webmaster Jthouse92's Avatar
    Ditto on Carbon, i know when i first started in the hobby i didn't rinse my carbon for the first few times and i got similar skimmate.

Vice President / Webmaster Jthouse92's Avatar
    Darker skimate = heavy organic load, so the phyto is probably playing a role in this as well.

Plankton
    I haven't added phyto since Sunday, and came home today to see the same color and near same amount in my skimmer cup. I took a light to the cup and the color is really dark green. I'm not sure if there's any studies or tests that have been done, but is it possible that the phyto is starting to culture in my tank and the skimmer is sucking it out? The cup smells like fresh phyto and not the usual foul odor.

I ask about tests being done because I searched and couldn't find anything about this situation other than opinions and hypotheticals

My skim also looks the same when i dose phyto. If you dosing live phyto it can grow in your system until it is consumed by corals and inverts or is skimmed out. Some people claim that adding photo can actually drop PO4 and nitrates in your display tank too do the phyto consuming them as they reproduce grow.