Thread: My 39g bowfront

My 39g bowfront

Just getting back into the hobby after a couple years away finished cycling early February and have been slow stocking the tank my goal is to have an LPS dominant tank with minimal fish. Currently running a canister filter and turned the hob filter into a mini Refugium (being so small I donít expect it to do much but had the parts and wanted to try) Iím also trying half live rock and a fish tank decoration that has multiple layers hopefully it will work good for placing coral. Iím also trying to decide if I want to find a hob protein skimmer or if I want to convert the filtration to a sump but I would need a new stand so I want to give the canister filter some time and see how it does. Hope you guys enjoy and and suggestions would be great.
    4FF9A0D2-7D2D-4FCC-9D77-A67D00892010.jpg

Current animals/corals
    Attachment 11379

Premium Member
    Welcome back to the hobby!

There are some uniquely shaped sumps out there nowadays. What is the space under your bowfront like? Could you fit a 10 gallon custom sump under it? With having the HOB refugium you would really only need a filter sock and skimmer section, then baffles and a return section. Could fit hopefully.

The stand actually has I divided down the center so thereís only about 8-10Ē on either side. I did however fill the aquarium decoration with various size filter sponges to increase my bio-filtering capabilities

What about hob skimmers? I was looking at one from reef octopus that has doesnít have to many parts down in the tank itself

I ended up going with the coral life 65g hob/in sump skimmer that way for now I can use it as hob and if I decide to go the other route and install a sump I won’t need a different skimmer.