Thread: Building a stand...

Premium Member

Building a stand...

Hey guys, thought I would check here to get your opinions. I'm building out a small 25 gallon tank and looking to build my first stand. The tank is a 25 gallon Innovative Marine lagoon style tank. While the footprint is unique I feel any 3/4 inch plywood stand or definitely anything built out of 2x4's will do the job. That being said I really dont know where to start. Do you guys have any general guidline or a resource I could use to piece it together. With the tank being an AIO style tank I dont need a sump below so it can be really straight forward for a build. The only thing I would like to keep under the tank is a 5 gallon bucket of ATO water.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

President
    There is a long-running thread on RC that has some basic guidelines, some of which are probably overkill for that size aquarium. These plans show a 'nail strip' to join the 2x4's together but I have used pocket-screws to avoid needing the extra wood. You basically join 4 boards together to build a top frame then another 4 boards for the bottom frame. For the legs you have 8 boards at your preferred height. Then you can skin the frame with a high-quality plywood.

The reality is that you could make a box out of 3/4" ply and be done. It would be plenty strong. Get the birch import plywood.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1169964

Premium Member
    Thats very helpful, Logzor. Thank you. I think I'll use one of the tweaks and make it out of 1x4's and skin it with something nice. A 25 gallon tank wont need to be resting on a tank and the skinning will add support as well.