Thread: Dosing Help!

Dosing Help!

After transitioning my 28g nano to my 100g total volume setup Iím forced to start dosing. Water changes arenít keeping up the elements.
    Current numbers:
    Salinity- 1.025
    Nitrates- 20ppm
    Alk- 8dkh
    Calc- 340
    Mag- canít test yet
    Ph- 7.8

I read that for a mixed reed I want 450ppm calcium but the ratio will put my dkh at like 12. Does this seem right? Iíve always kept my alk around 7-8 and nervous about getting it that high.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

President
    You definitely want your Ca higher in the range of 450-500. I think below 400 your corals could suffer. Your alkalinity is fine at 8 dkh. I see no reason to raise it any higher. You do need to keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't dip below 7 dkh for any sustained period of time.

At 12 dkh you run the risk of bleaching out corals. This is especially true if you run a lower nutrient / really clean system.

My nano ran between 30-40 ppm on nitrates and had no issue keeping sps. Iím building an algae scrubber in this setup so Iíll slowly lower the nitrates with that

President
    Quote Originally Posted by Djbeasley05 View Post
    My nano ran between 30-40 ppm on nitrates and had no issue keeping sps. I’m building an algae scrubber in this setup so I’ll slowly lower the nitrates with that

You would be surprised, running some level of nitrates can be good for SPS so long as you don't have an algae problem. It's tough to achieve the right balance.

I dose Cal and Alk only and my levels are 440 Ca and 9.2 Alk.
    240 DT with a 100 Gal sump