Thread: Glass/Acrylic Shop Question

Glass/Acrylic Shop Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to finish up my sump and need to create a section for my filter socks. I've cracked three acrylic sheets trying to put 2, 3.75" holes in them (ugg). I called three glass and sign shops yesterday to see if they could cut them for me, but they all say they can't cut holes. Do you guys know of a place that will cut glass or acrylic around here? I'm in Anderson Township but can go wherever.

Thank you for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of hole saw where you using when they cracked? A diamond hole saw should work ok for glass or acrylic. I think some fish stores in town might drill them for you but not sure of the cost.

Put masking tape over the area you are trying to drill and go slow. Let the hole saw do the work.

Thanks everybody. So far I've tried a router, an unknown type of hole saw fitting (was told it was general purpose), a hole cutter from a craft store, and even trying to drill 100 small holes around the circumference and breaking it out. $50 later, here I am. The acrylic seems too fragile and gets WAY too hot when trying to cut through it. The bits I've tried seem to catch and ruin everything.

You need a diamond edge hole saw. No center bit, use water to keep the material cool and very light pressure.

what thickness acrylic you trying to drill? if it is less that 1/4" it is going to be very difficult...

I have a few hole saw you can borrow. Biggest one I have is for 1 1/2" bulk heads. i think 60 MM (2 3/8")
    Brad

Tang
    Quote Originally Posted by xyzner View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to finish up my sump and need to create a section for my filter socks. I've cracked three acrylic sheets trying to put 2, 3.75" holes in them (ugg). I called three glass and sign shops yesterday to see if they could cut them for me, but they all say they can't cut holes. Do you guys know of a place that will cut glass or acrylic around here? I'm in Anderson Township but can go wherever.

Thank you for any help!

xyzner,
    Were you able to get this worked out? I can cut acrylic for your socks and have the acrylic on hand.

Cheers

Ahh! Forgot I typed this up. Thank you but I finally managed to do it. I just used a 3.5 hole saw bit, ran water over the sheet and went SLOW.

Tang
    Quote Originally Posted by xyzner View Post
    Ahh! Forgot I typed this up. Thank you but I finally managed to do it. I just used a 3.5” hole saw bit, ran water over the sheet and went SLOW.

Glad you were able to take care of it. Let me know if you need anything else out of acrylic. I'd be glad to help.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by DIYReefer View Post
    Glad you were able to take care of it. Let me know if you need anything else out of acrylic. I'd be glad to help.

Cheers
    Thanks!

Patrick