Thread: Introduction: New to the forum, not to the hobby

Plankton

Introduction: New to the forum, not to the hobby

Hey all. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Thomas, but everyone just calls me Tommy. I live in the northern Kentucky area, but I'm from Ohio. I'm a mechanical engineer and design conveyor systems for a living. I have a lot of hobbies and it seems that all of them are very expensive. Cars, guns, kayaking, hiking and camping, fishing, just to name a few. As well as fishkeeping of course.

I've been in the fishkeeping and aquarium hobby for a long time. Started around 2008ish. Started in fresh water and very quickly took the dive into salt. I've had a lot of different setups and fish over the years. Learned A LOT of lessons along the way. Some easy, and some very hard. Got out of fish keeping for a while until I bought my house in 2016 but I always kept one of my tanks. When my wife and I first moved into the house, I set a tank up but left it dormant and basically to cycle for over a year. Just recently have I gotten back into it seriously.

My current setup is 75g display. I just recently built my own 20g sump with refugium. It has an Aquamaxx FC-120 protein skimmer, a Two Little Fishes GFO reactor, an amazon special LED grow light for Chaeto growth in the refugium, and I plumbed the return line myself with 1" PVC with ball valve and a 4" filter sock. The lighting is two (2) 165w LED fixtures I have hung from the ceiling.

The tank is home to one (1) medium sized yellow Tang, one (1) Bangai Cardinal, one (1) black and white stripped Dottyback, and one (1) dragon Wrasse.

Also in the tank is a pretty decent sized Torch coral, and a leather coral frag. I have wanted to get into growing coral for a long time but never had the time/money to have a setup to support it.

Looking forward to spread the knowledge I have, as well as learn as much as I can from this forum. I would also like to start going to meets and stuff locally. Something I've never had the chance of doing.

Welcome to Cincyreef!

Premium Member
    I think I ran into you at Discover Aquatics last week, did you get a chance to hit the frag swap on Saturday?

Plankton
    Quote Originally Posted by JBKReef View Post
    I think I ran into you at Discover Aquatics last week, did you get a chance to hit the frag swap on Saturday?
    Unfortunately I did not. The same friend that had his family there the day I met you came over and ended up getting his truck stuck in my driveway. So we spent the entire day dealing with that. Wish we could have went.

It was awesome meeting you. Did you end up going?

Plankton
    Quote Originally Posted by Docsky View Post
    Welcome to Cincyreef!
    Thanks!