Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Any Structural Engineers out there?

  1. #1
    Reefer phoenix001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004

    Any Structural Engineers out there?

    Hi Everyone -

    Finally getting back into the hobby after a 3 year hiatus. Starting up a 140 cube dimension 36x36x25. Purchased from glasscages with 40 gallon sump, stand and canopy. Still trying to figure out where to place the tank in my house and need some structural advice if possible. First off, the tank will be on the second floor. My floor joists are 2x9's 16" on center. One spot I am thinking abut would place the tank against an outside wall but parallel to the joists sitting across 2 joists for sure. Does it matter with a cube whether placement is parallel or perpendicular? Either way it seems I would be spreading the load across 2 joists. Total weight when everything is up and running is estimated at 2100 lbs.

    Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Do I need a structural engineer??


  2. #2
    Treasurer West Chester Reef's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    West Chester, Ohio
    Not an engineer but welcome back
    You never know unless you ask,,

  3. #3
    Premium Member Trichome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    I have a 180g tank sitting the same way you do. Its not really ideal but it works for me. I just put a of support joist next to each one to make sure they can handle the load. Its been 6 years and all is good
    400 Gallon System
    118g Non-photosynthetic DT
    180g Reef DT
    125g Sump
    75g Frag

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts