Thread: Starting new SW tank soon....

Starting new SW tank soon....

Hello, new to the club, and looking for advice. I am currently doing research and taking some advice given to 'join' a club with similar interests. So here i am!

I currently have a 36gal bow-front FW aquarium that is actually my wife's. We've had it for a little over a year. My birthday is approaching in late October and I've decided I would like to start a SW aquarium. I do not want a FO tank, but know I should hold back from starting off with a Reef tank until I have more experience. So I believe a FOWLR tank is the way to go. I intend to center my tank around a pair of clowns. Either pecula or ocellaris, which I am still unsure of which is better (or if it even matters).

I am looking at a 32gal Biocube, a 45gal Biocube, and considering a 55gal to 65gal rectangle tank. I lean towards the Biocubes for the benefit of the built-in sump. A 55g or 65g tank not reef ready involves even MORE work that I am not sure of. I hear using a siphon sump is risky and not quite as good as a pre-drilled tank. Since I don't plan to have an entire colony of fish (maybe up to 6 at most?) I'm also not sure of what size I should strongly consider. Hearing 'Bigger is Better' doesn't always work when you consider cost. Tank, filtration, lighting, etc. I'd like to eventually have a reef tank because they are quite beautiful. In this, I know patience is the way to go, so I would like to know the best way to start my journey toward that goal.

Keep in mind I have not purchased the first thing yet as I weigh my options. So any advice, ideas, suggestions, or examples will be gladly and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help and for allowing me to join.

Welcome, I started with a 65 reef ready (drilled tank) , only my opinion, but a drilled tank is the way to go, but at MACNA they had a new overflow called a shadow box, looked great in principle, to many accidents seem to happen from external overflows, the bigger the better? Think that comes from the larger the tank the easier to keep your parameters in check. Your starting on the right foot, research, get good equipment, or you'll blow through money just upgrading as you go and no one wants to waste money.
    You never know unless you ask,,

There are some great people here willing to help so best of luck and success.
    You never know unless you ask,,

President
    Hello and welcome to Cincyreef. Going SW you will probably never turn back! It's addicting, for sure.

I got my start with a 55 gallon aquarium with a hang-on-back skimmer. I went straight reef, and it worked out with a lot of hiccups along the way. Biggest issues was with the skimmer overflowing in my old apartment when I was gone.

Either all-in-one route or building out a 55g, drilled, with a sump are good starting option. The second route is a lot more work but you get a better system with more flexibility. There are also now some really fancy All In One systems that you can buy depending on your budget. Either way, you can start small and upgrade!

Depending on your fish you can start with some really simple soft-corals if your start as FOWLR goes well. Then you can add-slowly and upgrade equipment and transition into a reef at your own pace.

Check out the showroom, there are a lot of great build thread to read. Lots of potential for inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandoril View Post
    Hello, new to the club, and looking for advice. I am currently doing research and taking some advice given to 'join' a club with similar interests. So here i am!

I currently have a 36gal bow-front FW aquarium that is actually my wife's. We've had it for a little over a year. My birthday is approaching in late October and I've decided I would like to start a SW aquarium. I do not want a FO tank, but know I should hold back from starting off with a Reef tank until I have more experience. So I believe a FOWLR tank is the way to go. I intend to center my tank around a pair of clowns. Either pecula or ocellaris, which I am still unsure of which is better (or if it even matters).

I am looking at a 32gal Biocube, a 45gal Biocube, and considering a 55gal to 65gal rectangle tank. I lean towards the Biocubes for the benefit of the built-in sump. A 55g or 65g tank not reef ready involves even MORE work that I am not sure of. I hear using a siphon sump is risky and not quite as good as a pre-drilled tank. Since I don't plan to have an entire colony of fish (maybe up to 6 at most?) I'm also not sure of what size I should strongly consider. Hearing 'Bigger is Better' doesn't always work when you consider cost. Tank, filtration, lighting, etc. I'd like to eventually have a reef tank because they are quite beautiful. In this, I know patience is the way to go, so I would like to know the best way to start my journey toward that goal.

Keep in mind I have not purchased the first thing yet as I weigh my options. So any advice, ideas, suggestions, or examples will be gladly and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help and for allowing me to join.
    Last edited by Logzor; 09-14-2016 at 02:05 PM.

I am finding some amazing deals on tanks and tank combos on Craigslist. I understand I have to be careful, but for a starting point the price is great and I can always buy better equipment if needed before I add fish. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

President
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandoril View Post
    I am finding some amazing deals on tanks and tank combos on Craigslist. I understand I have to be careful, but for a starting point the price is great and I can always buy better equipment if needed before I add fish. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
    Going with used equipment is a great way to start out. You can often find decent equipment for less than half the price of new.

Avoid cheap Chinese equipment.

Look for good brands:

ATI
    EcoTech
    Aqua Illuminations
    Ehiem
    Reef Octopus
    Neptune Systems
    Tunze

Generally speaking if they sell it on http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ it's probably a decent brand of equipment. Avoid anything that's only sold on EBay.