Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 220 Gallon Display (400 Total System)

220 Gallon Display (400 Total System)

Well I figured I would start a thread about my build. I will be moving into a house here shortly (currently painting & remodeling). My future wife (Less than a month away) was nice enough to let me upgrade after some serious convincing and bribes!! My current system is a 90G display with a 55G sump & refigium. I always wanted to go bigger but space is limited in the condo. So while I am working oh the house, I am also starting to gather items and build for the new tank. The display tank will be on the first floor with a "fish room" in the basement. I am now just getting started to support the floor for the tank and build the fish room.

My plans are to run a 220G display with a 90G rock refigium, 55G mangrove and cheato refigium and a 100G stock tank for the sump filled up about half way. Equipment will be an EuroReef Skimmer (30" tall), MRC-6 daul calc reactor, blowhole 850 (close loop in the 220G), hammer head return pump (it will feed the return, skimmer, calc reactor, GFO & Carbon Reactors). Currently I will be using 3 250 MH for the lighting (I already have the ballast, bulb from my current tank, will probally upgrade in the future but trying to save a little money at the start) with t-5 actinic and some moon lights (already own all these). Finally my Apex we run the whole show. I am building a custom stand and canopy for the display also.

Most of the equipment I am using is bought from members, so my first step is to clean it all. Currently the 220, skimmer and calc. reactor are being cleaned. I am trying to keep my current system up and running and will hopefull get the new one set up and cycled before I need to move. Then I will take down the currently system, move the livestock and hook up the item to the new one. (Make sense, sounded confusing when I typed it).

Here are a few pictures of the items being cleaned, my design for the stand & canopy and my design for the water flow. (Still working out the calc reactor and 55G refigium)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Beastie; 08-05-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    Brad

Tang
    Looking good Brad!

Nice. i hope the plumbing works out as good in real life as on paper. It looks like a good plan to me. my next tank will be very similar. I like the c2c overflow (at least thats what im seeing). does your fuge have standpipes in the center of the tank?
    180 gallon mixed reef. been wet since oct 2011.

Well my plans have changed.

I found out last night that we sold the conde we are currently living in. They wanted us out by 9/16, I laughed and said no way since we dont get back from our honeymoon till the 9/17. So after going back and forth they agreed on 9/25.

With this being said, I know I will not have enough time to get my new tank all set up, finish working on the house, work on the few items in the condo, move to the house, get married and go on our honeymoon all within the next 4 1/2 weeks!!!!!

So my plan now is to set up a temporary holding tank for my livestock untill I have enough time to set up my tank the way I want it. I figured I should just take my time and get it done right the first time instead of trying to rush and do something I will not be happy with.

My plan is to just set up a rubbermaid stock tub. Fill it with my live rock, water, circulation pump, skimmer and light for the next 2 months or so. I know in the past other member have done this. Any recomendation or tips???

One more thing, does any one have a stock tub (100 G or bigger) I can borrow for a few months that would be great. If not I will buy one but thought I would ask.
    Brad

President
    I've got you covered on the stock tank. I lived out of one for about a year so I have a few tips as well we can discuss later.

Quote Originally Posted by Logzor View Post
    I've got you covered on the stock tank. I lived out of one for about a year so I have a few tips as well we can discuss later.

Great!!!

Thanks!
    Brad

I have a 300g stock tank you can borrow. That 100g you have should be ok though. Your design plan looks good though.

Figure I would give a quick update.

I have been working on the system finally.

Here are some pictures of the stand being constructed. Currently it is painted and in the house.

I have been working on re-inforcing the floor for the tank and building my fish room. I should have this done by Friday.

I also have been drilling the tank for the returns, overflow and closed loop system. My plan is to move the tank Sunday inside the house and then the real fun starts!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brad

After moving and drilling it... Make sure to leak test.

Yes,

Once I get it all set up and plumbed together, I was going to fill the whole system up with tap water to check for leaks in the plumbing and tank. Hopefully I wont have too many thing to fix.
    Brad